Welcome to the 5 Minute SEO Guide. If you don't have time to learn search engine optimization this guide will teach you everything you really need to know about SEO.This article is written by John Wright from HorseshoeAgency.com This quick SEO guide was created for a few reasons.
- Google's SEO guidelines are too long to read and don't explain what is most important
- The info below has been explained and written to many clients so next time someone asks about SEO, they will get the link to this page
- This guide is meant to help beginners as well as experienced webmasters
Page TitlesPage titles are probably the most important aspect of on page seo. Your best research tool is Google, when you search in Google the results page will show you page title, description and URL. Page titles should have your keywords but appear natural, avoid going over 10 words as this looks like spam and may not be fully displayed. Common mistakes with this is duplicate phrases and keywords.
DescriptionsKeep them 135-155 characters, never over as they will get truncated. Page titles & descriptions: combined these should help but most people are lazy and don't customize them for every page. Every page needs dedicated page titles and descriptions. You can focus on the keywords but try to focus more on the user and try to convince the user to click on your links. Things that can help generate more clicks include free trials, offers & discounts, benefits, guarantees, free consultation, free shipping, etc... If you want to see what your competitors are doing, just go to Google and the search results page will show you listings which show page titles, descriptions and URLs. [caption id="attachment_4254" align="aligncenter" width="719" caption="Screenshot of Google search results page"][/caption] URLs: Keep the site structure well organized. Avoid duplicate content: that is www.site.com and http://site.com are 2 different domains, common mistake is one isn't forwarding to the other. Just look at this site gaffg.com, type in www.gaffg.com and you'll end up at . If you have this problem you can find more info Google 'duplicate content www htaccess'.
Keep your site structure organizedTry to organize your site content in such a way that any user can easily navigate your site. For more information on this you can see another SEO guide of creating the site structure from the beginning: /resources/guides/implement-seo-website-strategy-beginning/
ContentHere are some very important guidelines on content:
- Sites that have more pages tend to get more traffic, a page can't rank if it doesn't exist
- More pages = more chances of ranking for more keywords and getting more traffic
- Sites with new pages, new posts and updated content tend to rank better than sites that don't update or don't create more content